Studying in Canada is certainly going to be the start of a wonderful career and life regardless of the course you are going for. Canada boasts of sound and quality education as it is home for some of the top universities in the world and so if you are a graduate of some of the top universities in Canada, you can compete with other graduates of the world.
As an international student studying in Canada, you are entitled to some wonderful benefits that would make you enjoy your stay in Canada and also studying in Canada could pave way for you to gain permanent residency in Canada.
Canada is one of the most welcoming countries of the world as it is multicultural and so whichever country you hail from, Canada has a place for you if you want to study after which you can get a job in Canada as there are a lot of job opportunities in Canada.
Without further ado, let’s jump into our discussion…
How Can I Study In Canada?
If you have made up your mind about studying in Canada, you will have to be sure you meet the student visa requirements to make you eligible to study in Canada and regardless of your study program or the duration of your program, all international student that want to study in Canada will need to get a study permit as it will allow you to enter into Canada to study.
The Canadian study permit is valid up till the completion of your study program plus an additional 90 days and the completion date is on the day your school sends you a letter of completion, degree or diploma or transcript.
To apply for the study permit, you will have to meet the requirements we will be listing below:
- You will need to be enrolled in a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) and the institution needs to be on the list of DLIs with an approved COVID-19 readiness plan.
- You must have no criminal record and also get a police certificate if requested
- You must be in good health and would also need to undergo a medical exam
- You must prove that you have enough funds for tuition and living expenses for both yourself and any family members who come to Canada with you.
- You must prove to an officer that you will leave Canada once your study visa expires.
In addition to the requirements that will make you eligible for the study permit, below are some supporting documents that may be required from you in order to apply for the study permit…
- Proof of acceptance (letter of acceptance)
- Proof of financial support
- Proof of identity
- A letter of explanation to explain to the officer the reason you want to study in Canada
- Certificate d’ acceptation du Quebec- this certificate is needed if you want to study for more than six months in Quebec.
The processing time for the Canadian study visa is about three months from the time the Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) receives your application.
For some applicants, especially those that are residents of certain countries, you can apply through a faster pathway to get your student visa like the Student Direct Stream which we will be talking about shortly.
What is the Student Direct Stream?
This program is a faster way of getting a study permit in Canada but it is limited to a few countries and so nationals of these countries can apply for study permit to study in Canada. It has a processing time as short as 20 calendar days.
Some of these countries are:
- Antigua and Barbuda
- Costa Rica
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- Trinidad and Tobago
Why Do Canada Study Permit Get Rejected?
If you are wondering what will stop you from getting a study permit in Canada, then you should follow what we will be discussing here. The program you are going through must be one that the officer understands as you will have to explain why you want to study in Canada and how the qualification you will be graduating with will help you when you return to your home country.
You could also be rejected when you apply for study permit when you are unable to show lack of funds or provide original documents in processing your study visa and permit.
Top Courses To Study In Canada For International Students
Opting for a course that has a high rating in Canada will boost your chances of getting a job easily in Canada after graduation as these courses are for jobs that are in demand in the country.
The most popular fields of study for international students are:
- Computer science
- Business and Finance
- Health and Medicine
Post-Graduate Work Permit Program
As an international student, if you want to work in Canada after graduation then you can go through this program.
The program is for international students in Canada as it allows them to live and work in Canada with an open work permit which will allow you to work for any employer in Canada.
For you to be eligible for the program you must have graduated from or gotten a qualification from a Designated Learning Institution and the validity of your work permit depends on the duration of your study program.
Some of the requirements of the program are:
- You should not be younger than 18 years
- You must have graduated from a public or private post-secondary school in any Canadian province (college, university or technical school)
- You must have completed a study program at a Designated Institution
- You must have studied in Canada as a full-time student for at least 8 months
- You must have a valid study permit when you are applying for the work permit
- You must send the application for your work permit within 90 days of your graduation
As an international student, studying in Canada offers you the opportunity to work will studying and this can play a role in helping you get permanent residence in Canada through the work experience you got from working in Canada.
If you want to apply for permanent residence and you have Canadian work experience, then you can apply through the Canadian Experience Class which is designed for foreign nationals that already have work experience and would like to become a permanent resident of Canada.
The CEC is one of the federal immigration streams under the Express Entry System. So don’t delay in starting your application today so that you can be on your way to studying in Canada as soon as possible.